Oct 14, 2016
Oct 21, 2016
Rating (4 total):
The author has not added a description yet
No files have been added for download yet
This design was created to allow the use of three motors to not only drive, but to have a gripper not only grasp, but to also lift using one motor. This design eliminates using a 4th motor to open and close the gripper, and made things complex and heavy at the gripper end and would limit lift capacity reduce battery life and add complexity to the lift and grasp operation. The worm gear allows the gear train to support the object and act as break to prevent the motor from having hold the weight, the gripper relies on friction to trigger the open and close of the grippers and only creates light grasping pressure. The gripping arms can be easily modified to grasp various objects made of different materials.
The EV3 is connected using only 4 pins to allow for quick access to the batteries along with the motors being able to be disconnected quickly also so they can be used for other projects. The gripper module is a self contained assembly that can be easily removed from the drive motor so the robot can be used for other applications. The design of the gripper module and the robot have been done in such away that each can be built independently so a team of two or four can be busy building and working towards a common goal.
The design is based on the use of the minimum number of parts to demonstrate that you don't always need to use lots of pieces to build something functional and for quick assembly and disassemble in the class room.
I like the simplicity of the model. A big fan of 'elegant' designs. How robust is this design in real life? Just curious..
This was my second major revamp of my class room robot, which has to built in under 30 mins with a min number of pieces, travel well in tubs to the next class, can be taken apart in less than 5 mins. The real test is coming up shortly when I roll it out into the class room. Based on my first design that has been used 1000s of times since 2006 I learned that certain pins did not hold up over time and that tiny fingers at times did not have the strength to pull pins out or insert them, this is why I used a number of the pins with the bushing. I will post comments later next week after it has gone into the class room. Thanks for the comment well appriciated.
Has anyone heard about the winning robot design. There are some interesting designs posted.