With the vacuum project file open, we can see that the simulator is divided into two areas. A large Main Camera area, also known as model space, where we can
interact with the 3D environment, and a Toolbar that sits at the top of the screen that provides quick access to commonly used commands.
Customizing the user interface
Clearing and restoring windows
To clear all windows on the screen, click on the 'View' menu and choose 'Clear Windows'.
To restore all windows, click on the 'View' menu and choose 'Restore Windows'.
When Restore Windows is chosen, any windows that were previously docked will now reappear on the screen. Alternatively, choosing to Clear Windows from the View menu will as you might have guessed, maximize our available screen space by hiding all docked windows, and closing any floating panes.
We can toggle between these two commands by pressing the F12 keyboard shortcut.
Opening and closing menus
If there are any additional windows that we wish to work with, we can easily add them to the screen in one of two ways:
- Clicking on a button on the Toolbar
- Clicking on the 'View' menu and selecting the desired window
- Alternatively, you can close a window by right clicking on its tab and selecting 'close'.
Docking and Undocking windows
When a new window is added, the default setting for the dialog is to float over the screen. To dock a window to a particular place, simply select the title bar of the window and drag and drop it to the desired location. As you drag the window, a list of available docking locations for the dialog will display on the screen.
If multiple windows are docked in the same location, they will be displayed as a series of tabs.
1. Floating Window, 2. Multiple docked windows with tabs
Windows within the simulator can be positioned and dock to best suit the users workflow.
To undock a window:
- Right click on the window's tab
- Select 'Undock'
- The window will now float freely above model space.
To dock the window:
- Drag the floating window to either of the four sides of the model space
- As you approach a side, docking points will become available.
- Drop your window on one of the docking points.
- Your window is now docked to its new position on screen.